B&B Recipe Book: Half Pound Cake
- 225g Butter
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g Plain Flour
- 225g Seedless raisins
- 225g mixed currants & sultanas
- 110g Glace Cherries
- pinch salt
- 1/2 Tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tbsp Whisky (or brandy)
- walnut halves to decorate (optional)
- Grease and line a 8" cake tin, pre-heat the over to 150c
- Allow the butter to reach room temperature, then place in a large bowl with the sugar and whisk until light and fluffy.
- And the eggs one at a time, and whisk each in
- Fold in the sflour (sieved), fruit, salt & spices, then add the whisky to make a smooth dropping consistency
- Turn into the prepared tin, level the top and decorate with the walnuts f required.
- Place in the over and bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- I find sweetened dried cranberries make an interesting substitute for the cherries.
- During cooking if the top starts to burn cover with paper.
- Can be stored in an air-tight tin for several weeks, in fact storage for a week seems to make a more moist and deliceous cake.