B&B Recipe Book: Rhubarb And Ginger Jam
- 1 kg Rhubarb
- 1 kg Sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- 25g fresh ginger
- 100g crystallised or preserved ginger
- Wash, trim and cut the rhubarb into 1" lengths. Place in a bowl with alternate layers of rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cover with a tea-towel and leave overnight.
- Next day bruise the root ginger and tie is a muslin cloth. Place the rhubarb mixture in a preserving pan and heavy bottomed saucepan with the muslin, then bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove the muslin bag and add the preserved or crystallised ginger. Boil for a further 5 minutes.
- Test for a set, when setting point* is reached remove from the heat.
- Skim the surface with a slotted spoon and then pot and cover.
* To test for setting point in any jam making, before starting put a small plate in the freezer. To test, remove the plate from the freezer and drip a few drops of jam onto it. Give it a minute or so to cool and then push it with your finger. If the surface wrinkles the jam is ready, if not put the jam back on the heat and boil for another 5 minutes.
Be very careful with this particular jam for if you over-boil it the mixture will burn and the whole batch will be spoilt.
Take care when making jam: Boiling sugar is very hot.